• July 12Enjoy the Summer, Cavos!

• June 10Good luck on finals!

• June 10Happy June!

The Cavalier

State and county titles earned by Cavo track athletes

Girls' track team members pose at the State Group Championships in Egg Harbor, New Jersey, earlier this month. Junior Sophia Castronovo ran off with 3rd place in the 100 meter race.

Abbie Reissner

Cory Atkinson and Abbie Reissner

The track team had a successful season with many athletes, both boys and girls, earning all league honors. The girls’ track team finished with a 5-3 record in the league and placed 3rd in the County Championships. The boys’ track team finished with a 7-1 record in the league and won the Bergen County Relay Championships.

“The athletes and coaches work very hard to improve each week throughout the season with the success of the team as our overall goal. We may not have a large team, but we make up for it with our dedication, work ethic and drive for success,” Coach Mark Ledgerwood said.

We may not have a large team, but we make up for it with our dedication, work ethic and drive for success,”

— Coach Mark Ledgerwood

Junior Sophia Castronovo placed 1st in the 100 meter sprint at State Sectionals, and she earned 3rd place at State Groups in the 100 meter run. She also broke her own school record with a time of 12.48 seconds in that race. Castronovo earned 5th place in the 200 meter run, again breaking a record she set with a time of 25.72 seconds.

“This season I really surprised myself with winning the 100 meter at State Sectionals. I knew it was something I wanted and had a chance at, but winning it really showed me I was capable of more than I thought. I lowered my times a lot at states, and it got me farther then I thought I could have went this season,” Castronovo said.

Senior Eran Peci earned 1st place in the pole vault in the State Group 1 Championships.  He also broke a new school record with a height of 14-feet, two-inches. Adrianna Gobin, a junior, also earned honors. She placed 4th in the pole vault in the State Group 1 Championships.

“To take the program to the next level we have to continue to increase the number of athletes on the team and continue to work hard for each athlete to improve in their individual events in order to make the team better overall. Our team motto is ‘Individual Achievement Equals Team Success,'” coach Mark Ledgerwood said.

About the Contributors
Cory Atkinson, Movie Critic
Cory Atkinson is a junior at Emerson Junior-Senior High School. He is a movie critic for The Cavalier. He is very passionate about the film industry and enjoys reviewing and talking about films of all genres. Cory also plays baseball for the Emerson Cavos. Cory enjoys practicing daily and works to improve his swing and...
Abbie Reissner, General Reporter
Abbie Reissner is a junior at Emerson Junior-Senior High School. She is a general reporter for The Cavalier and enjoys writing about pop culture. She has been on the track team since freshman year and started playing volleyball during her junior year. Abbie played soccer as a freshman and sophomore. Abbie loves to spend time with...
  • State and county titles earned by Cavo track athletes

Opinions

It’s Not Over

Arts and Entertainment

Time to get PALOOZED at the 2nd annual CavoPALOOZA!

Arts and Entertainment

“This Is America” – a representation of modern America?

Arts and Entertainment

Fall in love with Simon in the new film “Love, Simon”!

Pop Culture

YouTube: Creating a New Culture Among the Youth

Arts and Entertainment

A sneak peek at the 2018 EHS Spring Concert

Arts and Entertainment

Emerson’s a capella group is performing at the Highlands A Capella Festival!

Arts and Entertainment

4 Must-See NYC Plays and Musicals for Spring Break

Features

National School Walkout: the catalyst for change

Arts and Entertainment

2018 iHeartRadio Music Awards: The Biggest Names in Music Right Now

The student news site of Emerson Junior - Senior High School