• July 12Enjoy the Summer, Cavos!

• June 10Good luck on finals!

• June 10Happy June!

The Cavalier

Students react to changes in schedule

A recent poll was conducted by The Cavalier to figure out how students feel about the new schedule.

Kathryn Cambrea

Kathryn Cambrea

Kathryn Cambrea, Editor in chief

The schedule has undergone significant changes this year at Emerson Junior-Senior High School. However, are these changes for better or for worse?

Last year, students at EJSHS found out about the revised schedule that would be implemented this year within their class meetings. As of this year, homeroom classes are abolished. Attendance is now to be taken during second period.

I’m happy with the new schedule. The one hour lunch period is great for doing homework and extra help for a class.”

— Amanda Chongoushian

Also, activity period was from 2:30-3:00p.m. last year. This occurred after school. Now, students have free time from 11:00 a.m.-12:00p.m. From 11:00-11:30 a.m., seventh and eighth graders can eat lunch in the cafeteria, while upperclassmen can eat there from 11:30-12:00 p.m. Senior students have the privilege to leave school grounds entirely during this time, but must be back for their classes.

Senior Matthew De La Paz shared his thoughts on the new schedule.

“I like it [the new schedule], especially as a senior. We get more time to go out for lunch,” De La Paz said, “I couldn’t imagine going out for lunch in only thirty minutes.”

This extended time allows seniors to have more time to eat their lunch now that they’re on the road and is intended to promote efficiency. All students can use this extra time for study hours with their teachers, club meetings, and socialization. Improvements were made in the school to enhance comfortability, such as the addition of furniture in the hallways and a new courtyard which is exclusive to juniors and seniors. Such renovations can be further utilized during this hour.

Junior Amanda Chongoushian expressed her thoughts on the new schedule.

“I’m happy with the new schedule. The one hour lunch period is great for doing homework and extra help for a class,” Chongoushian said.

According to a recent poll conducted by The Cavalier asking students how they feel about the new schedule, 58 percent of voters indicated that they have mixed feelings. 25 percent of voters indicated that they don’t like the new schedule, and 17 percent of voters indicated that they love the new schedule.

“The only thing that I don’t like and need to get used to is ending school at 3:00,” Chongoushian said.

Even though opinions of the new schedule may vary, everyone can agree on the fact that EJSHS is facing some changes. Despite whether or not students may like these changes, adjustment is a commonality among all.

About the Contributor
Kathryn Cambrea, Editor in chief
Kathryn Cambrea is a senior at Emerson Junior-Senior High School and is the editor in chief of The Cavalier. She has had a passion for reading and writing since she was little. Kathryn was a runner-up in a playwright competition when she was in only sixth grade, and she competed against high school students. She would love...
  • Students react to changes in schedule

Arts and Entertainment

Time to get PALOOZED at the 2nd annual CavoPALOOZA!

• Students react to changes in schedule

Arts and Entertainment

A sneak peek at the 2018 EHS Spring Concert

• Students react to changes in schedule

Arts and Entertainment

Emerson’s a capella group is performing at the Highlands A Capella Festival!

• Students react to changes in schedule

HIgh School News

Juul Isn’t Cool

• Students react to changes in schedule

Arts and Entertainment

‘9 to 5: The Musical’ serves as emblem of the courage and power of women

• Students react to changes in schedule

School happenings

Eagles or Patriots? EHS students are divided

• Students react to changes in schedule

HIgh School News

Snapchat takes over EHS!

• Students react to changes in schedule

HIgh School News

Emerson to host Relay For Life

• Students react to changes in schedule

HIgh School News

EHS students discuss the midterms

• Students react to changes in schedule

HIgh School News

EHS students share midterm study strategies

The student news site of Emerson Junior - Senior High School
Students react to changes in schedule