The Cavalier

2018 iHeartRadio Music Awards: The Biggest Names in Music Right Now

Aesha Falcon, Arts and Entertainment Editor

On Sunday, March 11, 2018, the biggest names in music shared the floor under one roof to celebrate music’s finest and highly talked about artists of today. The 2018 iHeartRadio Music Awards, hosted by Dj Khaled and Hailey Baldwin, was held in Inglewood, California, at The Forum. The night was filled with firsts but also highlighted issues and individuals that contributed to the spark of change.

As the stars illuminated the night sky of California, the stars of music took the stage and performed and enlightened both the local crowd and viewers all around the world. The show opened with overnight success Cardi B with her most well known hit, “Bodak Yellow,” and she followed by performing additional songs such as “Motorsport” and “Finesse.” She also shared the stage with popular rapper G-Eazy as they succeeded in hyping the crowd with “No Limit.” The opening foreshadowed the night to come.

Other performances included Camila Cabello, with her hit single “Havana.” Ed Sheeran took the stage in a different location, and it was streamed for the audiences at home. Later on, Eminem captured the crowd’s attention with his performance of “Nowhere Fast” featuring Kehlani. Bon Jovi also illuminated the stage with his classic chart toppers of “It’s My Life” and “You Give Love a Bad Name” as the crowd reminisced. “Lemon,” by N.E.R.D, was also a crowd favorite. Ditching his recognizable piano, Charlie Puth engaged with the crowd as he strutted the stage. On that same stage, Adam Levine let his vocals loose as Maroon 5 played their single, “Wait,” a current radio favorite and often requested.

Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee were nominated for seven different categories and were acknowledged as the party with the most nominations. Cardi B, Bruno Mars, Ed Sheeran, The Chainsmokers, Harry Styles, Niall Horan, Luis Fonsi, Calibre 50 and BTS all now have two more iHeart trophies to their credit, as many of them have already been named champions at least once before.” Some highlighted award winners include, promising new artist, Chance the Rapper taking home the Innovator award, while many have expected “overnight session” Cardi B to win the Best New Artist. Within the iHeartradio Music awards, the Icon award is seen as the most highly anticipated award and on that night Bon Jovi celebrated his thirty-five year long career with the Icon award.

These music awards show are not only to recognize the artists and their talents but also to shine light upon their fans and the dedicated fandoms. Camila Cabello won the first every Fangirl award. The Fangirl award was defined as “an honor presented by L’Oréal Paris and iHeartRadio that recognizes a female artist who has pushed boundaries with her music and message while inspiring her fans around the globe.” On the other hand, international K-pop sensation, BTS wins the Best Fan Army award. “BTS was the most-tweeted about artist in the entire world last year, thanks to their rabid fan base.” Though the group could not make it to California, they recognized their gratefulness through a pre-taped video stating, “First of all, we’d like to thank our BTS Army for this award so much,… And you know, this is the award our BTS Army literally made happen. We cannot find the right words how thankful and grateful we are.” Other news within other fandoms included Taylor Swift’s fandom, known as the Swifties, who lost their minds as Swift decided to debut her music video for her song, “Delicate.”

The night also recognized important social issues such as gun violence awareness. During the awards, a Parkland shooting survivor shared an important message to the audience. In addition, the night started off with Hailey Baldwin, who showed her support for gun violence prevention by wearing a “Stoneman Douglas High” tee as her first outfit of the night. The amount of courage was very encouraging to others to show awareness of change through this form of awards show that is exposed to people of all ages.

The iHeartRadio music awards is a platform to recognize the hard work and talent artists have and display for all to hear and appreciate. It is a night of firsts and memories, a night of performances, a night of cheers, a night of togetherness. Music shows no barriers whether it be from music style to age to language, all can enjoy the art and this night exemplifies that aspect. The only question that remains is, “What does the 2019 iHeartRadio music awards have in store?”