The Cavalier

Emerson’s a capella group is performing at the Highlands A Capella Festival!

Emily Burns, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Emerson Junior-Senior High School’s very own a capella group, E Major, is taking part in the annual Highlands A Capella Festival on May 12th! E Major is a group of Emerson select chorus members who perform a capella numbers, which are arrangements made for only voices with no accompaniment from a piano or other instruments. Usually, a cappella groups have a vocal percussionist, also known as a beatboxer, who adds the element of percussion to the vocal piece.

E Major also attended the Highlands A Capella Festival last year and performed an arrangement of Rather Be by Clean Bandit. At the festival, groups from all over the tri-state area come at 8 a.m. and attend workshops throughout the day, run by famous a capella professionals including sessions like a Riff-off, Intro to Vocal Percussion, Barbershop, and much more. Professionals who have worked with groups like Pentatonix and Pitch Perfect are even there to lend some knowledge!

Towards the afternoon, each performing group gets to attend an individualized master class to work on a specific number in their repertoire. A bit later, each group has a sound check in the main auditorium where the sound designer gets to find a blend between the members of each group.

In the evening comes the best part! All the groups come together for a spectacular a capella concert that night. Each group performs the number they got to work on with their assigned professional in addition to a few performances from special guests!

This year, E Major will be performing an arrangement of Todrick Hall’s trendy youtube video, “4 The 90s.” Come see a sneak peek in the auditorium during Period 7 to see E Major rehearsals!