The Cavalier

The King’s Journey to The Finals

Brenden Marrero, Editor

The NBA regular season is coming to a close and the playoffs will begin shortly. The Raptors are atop the Eastern Conference and have been on a tear the second half of the season, while the Rockets lead the Western Conference and have displayed their dominance the entire season. As always Lebron James and the Cavaliers are in the running, sitting at the four seed and hope to make it to the finals for the fourth year in a row.

This would be James’s ninth finals appearance in a row, making Bill Russell the only player in NBA history to have more consecutive finals appearances; James also looks to win his fourth NBA championship. However, this will be no easy task even for the King. James and the Cavs are a heavy underdog to win the title and will have a few obstacles in their way just to make it back to the finals. They will most likely have to contend with the one seeded Raptors and possibly the red hot Philadelphia Seventy Sixers, who have won 16 straight coming into the playoffs and reintroduced the number one overall pick in last year’s draft, Markelle Fultz, back into their lineup.
No matter who they face off with on the road to the Finals there are a number of things Lebron and the Cavaliers must do to make it to the Finals and take home the championship.
“ The cavs have to play as a cohesive unit and they can’t be selfish, they just don’t have enough superstars to play that way. Lebron has to take over in every game if they even want to have a chance at winning the championship.” said Remi Spiegel Brown when asked what the Cavs would need to do to pull off an upset and win the championship and he’s correct.
The cavs don’t have a high enough volume of scorers and elite players to play mostly one on one basketball like the Warriors do. We’ve seen glimpses of disconnection and lack of chemistry on the Cavs roster throughout the regular season; this cannot be the case in the playoffs. They need to play together, as a team and Lebron needs to facilitate and get his teammates involved while still taking over and carrying a majority of the load throughout the playoffs. Another key to the Cavs success is getting it done on the defensive end, which has been a struggle for them throughout the year.
When asked if he thought the Cavs could pull off the upset, Spiegel Brown stated, “ I think they definitely have a good chance of making it to the finals but I just don’t see them winning it all. There’s just too much talent in the west and the Cavs have struggled all season.” said Spiegel Brown.
He’s right, the odds are heavily stacked against the Cavs but this is Lebron James we’re talking about.
Remi Spiegel Brown still has hope for Lebron and the Cavs though, “That being said I still can’t doubt Lebron, he’s one of the greatest players this game has ever seen and if you give him a chance, he’ll prove that he’s still the best player in the league and just might pull off another upset.”

The man has overcome unthinkable odds in the past and is still breaking records and averaging career highs in his 15th NBA season. He has consistently been one of the most dominant forces in sports since he came into the league and seems to have plenty of gas left in the tank to prove his haters wrong one more time.