The Cavalier

MVP: Who will it be?

Brenden Marrero, Editor

The NBA regular season has come to an end and now we look forward to the NBA awards when we honor the players who have stood above the rest this season. This year the race for many awards are neck and neck but there are a few clear winners.

Two players have separated themselves from the pack in the running for the most coveted award for MVP. Lebron James and James Harden top the race for MVP and have dominated the league for the entire season. Both players are putting up absurd stat lines with James averaging 27.5 points, 9.1 assists and 8.6 rebounds and Harden averaging 30.4 points, 8.8 assists and 5.4 rebounds. A strong argument could be made for both players and both deserve the award as much as the next, however, there is one clear favorite in my eyes.

Despite Harden being number one in the MVP ladder and averaging just under three points more than James, Lebron is still the clear MVP this season. He has completely reinvigorated his game and has carried the Cavaliers through a tumultuous season ending in 50 or more wins for the fourth straight year. He’s started more games in his 15th season in the NBA than he ever has in his career, he’s put up a career high 18 triple doubles in the regular season, nearly matched his career high in field goal percentage and three point percentage and averaged a career high in assists.

In addition he’s hitting milestones such as becoming the seventh player to reach 30,000 career points and breaking the record for most consecutive games with double digit scoring, previously held by Michael Jordan. James has also become the only player in NBA history to have 30,000 points, 8,000 assists and 8,000 rebounds.

James has put a Cavaliers team that is lacking in many key areas on his back and led them to a 50 win season, securing the fourth seed in the east and throughout the entire season James has proved that he is still the best player in the league. Despite their troubles throughout the regular season, the Cavaliers are still the favorite to survive the gauntlet of the Eastern Conference because, well, they have Lebron James. James is just that good, no matter who you put on his team he’s still expected to win and has lived up to the expectations time and time again.

When Michael Jordan dominated the NBA many years ago he could have been given the MVP award every year he played and the same goes for Lebron James because that’s what he is, the most valuable player in the entire NBA and it seems as though that will never change as long as he is in the league. No player in the league has an impact on their team and the game as a whole as Lebron James does and the fact that he continues to find ways to refine his game after 15 years in the NBA is absurd. James is like a fine wine and seems to get better with age which is why he more than deserves the MVP award this year and it isn’t strange to think that he may have three or four more MVP worthy seasons left in him.