The student news site of Emerson Junior - Senior High School

The Cavalier

High school students should nap during school

Photo courtesy of CSUF Photos (c) (https://www.flickr.com/photos/csufnewsphotos/15759888338)

Rajeev Sinha, Reporter

Dear Editor-in-chief,

In a world where nearly everyone appears to be low on energy, why do we taboo naps beyond young adolescence? Many high schoolers are envious of preschoolers’ nap time scheduled into their school day. The National Sleep Foundation states that teens should get 8 to 10 hours of sleep to function at peak efficiency, and only 15 percent of teens report meeting the recommended 8.5 hours of sleep on a school night. 

There are various reasons for students failing to get a good night’s sleep. Many teens suffer from sleep disorders such as narcolepsy, insomnia, and sleep apnea. However, most students are just overwhelmed with trying to balance studying with their social life, extracurriculars, and a job. Meizen High School in Japan took notice of their students’ struggles to stay alert. The school allowed students the opportunity to take a 15 minute nap from 1:15 pm to 1:30 pm. Naohisa Uchimura, an assistant professor of neuropsychiatry at Kurume University, observed the students over a 40-day period. The study showed that 61 percent of students who took a 15-minute nap at least once during a school week reported being able to concentrate better in their afternoon classes, versus the 46 percent of students who did not take a nap. 

Additionally, the naps helped improve the morale and mental health of the students. The improved performance of these students shows that schools in the United States and around the world should consider adopting a similar napping policy.

Sincerely,

Rajeev Sinha
Senior