The student news site of Emerson Junior - Senior High School

The Cavalier

Students should be able to use their cell phones for instruction in school

Classroom polls, interactive assignments and note-taking are just some of the ways students can use phones in the classroom. Students can also share ideas with others around the state, country or the world.

Adrianna Calvo

Adrianna Calvo

Samantha Steidl, Reporter

Dear Editor-in-Chief:

According to the National Education Association (NEA) , smartphones can be used as learning devices. In a recent article, Ken Halla shows how he’s made his ninth-grade World History and AP Government classes mobile device-friendly. Students are on their phone all the time, why not incorporate that technology into the lesson the teacher is working on? That should happen here at Emerson Junior-Senior High School, too.

Believe it or not, having the cell phones in class can help students focus more on their work. According to an article from the The Atlantic website, many students believe they can concentrate better in school while listening to music. The article states that cell phones also, “… give students a chance to collaborate with each other, or connect with peers in other countries”.  The article continues to say that interactive assignments like classroom polls help to engage students. Cell phones can also be used for note-taking and alarms for study reminders. On field trips, students can use cell phones to record voices and photos.

So, for all these reasons teachers at Emerson Junior-Senior High School should try harder to incorporate cell phone usage into their lessons – not try to limit the amount of time kids spend on them.

Sincerely,

Samantha Steidl