The student news site of Emerson Junior - Senior High School

The Cavalier

You have to take the journey “Into the Woods”

The cast of

The cast of "Into the Woods" gathers on the stage at the close of the show. It is playing on March 3, 4, 10, and 11 at 7:30 p.m., and on March 5 and 11 at 2:00 p.m.

Kathryn Cambrea

Kathryn Cambrea

Alyssa LaForge, ECTV

Kathryn Cambrea, Editor in chief

On Friday, March 3, 2017, the auditorium was filled with people just waiting for the storybook to open.

No other show performed here at Emerson Junior-Senior High School can compare to Into the Woods. It had a phenomenal cast that really brought the show to life.

The musical consists of two acts that hold evident distinctions. In the first act, we are introduced to the main characters. These include Jack (Aden El-Ansari) and his mother (Lauren Romanski), Rapunzel (Claudia Pistachio), the Witch (Jennifer Bueti), Rapunzel’s Prince (Rajeev Sinha), Cinderella (Julia Botvinov), Prince Charming (Derek Cartegena), the Baker (Louis Currier), the Baker’s wife (Sela Ghougasian), Little Red Riding Hood (Veronica Abad), the narrator (Emily Burns), and the Giant (Emily Burns).

The first act resembles the stereotype for any fairy tale. All the characters certainly live “happily ever after.” The Baker and his wife wanted a baby and must reverse the curse placed on them in order to do so. Ultimately, the Baker’s wife is pregnant at the end of the first act. Cinderella meets Prince Charming at the ball, and after futile attempts of trying to see if the slipper fit on any of her step sisters’ feet, it magically fit on hers. After being locked up in a tower, Rapunzel is reunited with her prince. Little Red Riding Hood and her grandmother are saved by the Baker after being eaten by the Wolf. It turns out that the beans that Jack bargained for were indeed magic, so he climbs the beanstalk and receives a hen that lays golden eggs. The Witch becomes beautiful, and it seemed that their lives would forever be perfect.

The second act shows that this wasn’t the case. Everything goes wrong from here. The woods are symbolic in that they represent the real world. Stories of characters initially were intertwined just enough so they could help each other, but in this act, they collide which leads to chaos. Characters face dilemmas such as the attacks of the Giant which compels them to turn against each other and find somebody to blame. The flaws of society as well as the human race, such as evil, adultery, agony, and death were portrayed so accurately, it was frightening.

One concept that was very well portrayed was the relationship between a mother and her children. The line, “Children will listen,” will be ingrained into the minds of people who watch this musical. The Witch is a mother figure to Rapunzel and is generally depicted as a hostile creature with no remorse who avenges her daughter for her beauty by locking her in a tower. This is not the case in Into the Woods. In this musical, she only locks her daughter away to shelter her from the dangers of the outside world. When the Witch earns her beauty, she no longer has magical powers and cannot control her daughter. The human race angers the Witch and she doesn’t want to be a part of it. She would rather be ugly with claws again instead of being beautiful. She wants to have the power to protect her daughter, but as she grows she drifts away from her mother. The Witch does not want to accept the fact that taking a journey into the woods is inevitable and that dangers may be faced. Mothers worry over their children in real life and are reluctant in letting them explore, but they need to make their own choices in order to learn. Obstacles will not be overcome until they are faced.

The cast, crew, and pit orchestra put so much effort into the production of this musical. Immense emotional appeal was felt in songs, and this play as a whole was strikingly similar to real life. Works that generate the most impact, whether they be a piece of artwork, a song, or story are ones that can relate to their viewers, and this musical does just that.